Assistant Professor - Athletics & Recreation
Assistant/Associate Professor - Athletics & Recreation
Trine University invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor faculty position in the Ketner School of Business beginning Fall 2023 with primary teaching responsibilities in the area of Athletics & Recreation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Trine University is a teaching-focused institution. A standard teaching load for faculty is 12 credit hours per semester. Faculty are expected to spend 80% of their time on teaching, 10% on scholarship, and 10% on University Service. Trine does not offer tenure. High quality teaching is Trine University’s first priority; however, faculty members are also expected to engage in professional development activities, develop/maintain appropriate professional contacts, and serve as an academic advisor for students. Service, in the form of committee work, advising student organizations, etc. is highly valued.
The ideal candidate will have a background in professional, collegiate, or secondary education athletics and/or recreation, but exceptionally qualified applicants with other areas of experience and expertise may be considered (i.e. sports communication; entertainment, athletic, and event management, athletic facility management).
The successful candidate will be able to teach undergraduate courses such as Contemporary Issues in Sport, Risk Management, Principles of Sport & Recreation Management, Business Concepts, and successfully direct and supervise internships. Other responsibilities will include playing an active role in recruiting and retention efforts and participating in Center for Sports Studies activities as agreed upon by the Director of the Center for Sports Studies. Duties will begin August 2023.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated education or experience that would support the teaching of specified athletics & recreation courses;
- A demonstrated record of excellence and innovation in teaching;
- A commitment to service as a faculty advisor, student organization advisor, and active member of an undergraduate teaching team;
- A strong network of sport industry connections;
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in a professional, collegiate, or secondary education athletics or recreation role.
- A strong understanding of and commitment to the Trine culture and to the Angola community. Candidates will be committed to working full-time at Trine and serving students and the university in a variety of ways.
Education and/or Experience
An earned doctorate in sport management, athletic administration, recreation, or closely related discipline is preferred; Minimum qualification for the position is a Master of Business Administration or master’s degree in athletic administration, recreation, sport management, or business-related field with demonstration of relevant work experience.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
- Financial Insurance – employer paid Long Term Disability and voluntary Short-Term Disability, Accident, Hospital Indemnity, and Critical Illness options are available
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
Rank and salary will be based on qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.